Authority Update - Victoria - April 2017

The Victorian Government in conjunction with Consumer Affairs Victoria, is seeking your views on potential changes to legislation governing the sale of land and business.

The release of an options paper sets out a range of possible reforms to the Sale of Land Act 1962.

As part of the second stage of consultation, you are invited to provide your views on the options paper until 28 April 2017.

The options paper responds to public feedback received during the first stage and identifies options for reform in the areas of:

  • pre-sale disclosure
  • offences relating to misleading and deceptive conduct across the Sale of Land Act and Estate Agents Act 1980
  • auctions of land
  • regulating the content of contracts of sale, including general and special conditions, and the role of estate agents in relation to these contracts
  • early release of deposits
  • off-the-plan sales
  • terms contracts and rent-to-buy arrangements
  • land banking
  • small business statements and other protections in the Estate Agents Act
  • modernisation of the Sale of Land Act
  • dispute resolution, and
  • offences and remedies.

One further options paper will be released in coming weeks, covering reform options for legislation governing estate agents and conveyancers.

Submissions to the options papers will inform the government in determining final legislative reforms.

For a copy of the options paper, and details on how to make a submission, visit consumer affairs website

To stay updated about this review, please email

Read more of Victoria Authority Updates

Disclaimer: The information herein has been prepared by SAI Global Property Division Pty Ltd ACN 089 586 872 from information released by the Authority cited on this page. It is provided as general background information only; it is not complete; and it does not comprehensively address this subject matter. Readers should not consider the information so provided as advice nor as a recommendation to take any particular course of action. Persons needing advice should consult their own solicitor, accountant or other professional adviser.