Authority Updates - Victoria - May 2016

Consumer property legislation

Consumer Affairs Victoria is undertaking a review of the following consumer property legislation

  • Estate Agents Act 1980
  • Owners Corporations Act 2006
  • Conveyancers Act 2006
  • Sale of Land Act 1962

The review will:

  • Identify opportunities to modernise and improve the legislation, taking into account stakeholders' experiences and industry developments since each Act came into operation
  • Examine whether the legislation efficiently and effectively regulates the conduct of licensed practitioners
  • Involved in the sale of land, real estate transactions and management of owners corporation
  • Recommend changes to improve the way the legislation operates.

Issued papers;

  1. Conduct and institutional arrangements for estate agents, conveyancers and owners corporation managers - CLOSED for public consultation 
  2. Owners Corporation (general) - CLOSED for public consultation but feedback is now available click here to review 
  3. Sale of land and Business - open for public consultation until 13 May 2016

Anyone may make a submission for consideration in response to the issues papers, they are particularly interested to hear from Real Estate agents, Home owners, Owners Corporation and Conveyancers.

Each issues paper includes a series of questions as a guide to writing your submission. 

You can make a submission by

Consumer Property Law Review
Policy and Legislation Branch
Consumer Affairs Victoria
GPO Box 123
Melbourne VIC 3001


Your submission must include:

  • your name
  • organisation name (if applicable)
  • your email address 

For more information, click here.

Read more of Victoria Authority Updates

Disclaimer: The information herein has been prepared by SAI Global Property Division Pty Ltd ACN 089 586 872 from information released by the Authority cited on this page. It is provided as general background information only; it is not complete; and it does not comprehensively address this subject matter. Readers should not consider the information so provided as advice nor as a recommendation to take any particular course of action. Persons needing advice should consult their own solicitor, accountant or other professional adviser.