Distributors buy and resell aerospace commodity items such as raw materials, fasteners, bearings, paints and coatings and gaskets. While not adding value to these products, distributors directly affect product performance if they fail to handle parts and materials properly, or lose a part's traceability from OEM to customer.
AS9120 - Quality Management Systems - Aerospace Requirements for Stockist Distributors - was developed for pass-through distributors of aerospace commodity items. This standard addresses chain of custody, traceability, control and availability of records.
The standard addresses requirements that distributors must focus on to ensure that only approved, conforming parts make their way into the supply chain. In recent years the concern of suspect and counterfeit parts has reached heightened levels. AS9120 includes requirements that effectively implemented, would help a distributor minimize the risk of such activity.
Based on ISO 9001, but with nearly 100 additional requirements specific to aerospace distributors, AS9120 provides suppliers with a comprehensive quality system focused on areas directly impacting product safety and reliability including;
- Splitting - Specific requirements for batch splitting and lot splitting, and how conformance to specification is maintained.
- Airworthiness certificates - Defines the documents issued by cognizant civil aviation authorities that certifies that parts meet the required airworthiness requirements.
- Control of records - Record requirements differ significantly for distributors of aerospace product. AS9120 defines those requirements.
- Traceability - Defines specific requirements for traceability from receipt until delivery.
- Evidence of Conformance - Specific documents are required by distributors as evidence of conformance. AS9120 defines those requirements.
SAI Global has the in-depth, broad based aerospace industry experience your company requires to meet the expectations of aerospace OEMs, prime suppliers, and other key stakeholders in the aerospace industry.
Our highly-qualified aerospace experienced auditors (AEAs), with extensive aerospace work experience, have registered some of the leading aerospace OEMs and prime suppliers, as well as regulatory bodies and the aerospace supply chain. SAI Global's aerospace team among the most highly qualified in the world. You will find auditors who are well versed in aerospace unique requirements, and are able to speak your aerospace language. SAI Global maintains one of the largest staff of AEAs among aerospace registrars, enabling us to easily meet customer scheduling requirements.
As more and more aerospace OEMs require registration throughout their supply chain, it makes good business sense to choose a registrar that adds value to the process. From the time of initial application to the delivery of the certificate, efficient and streamlined processes are in place making the registration process understandable and achievable.
When your organization aligns to AS9120, it not only reaps quality and efficiency benefits, but also is better able to meet customer expectations. Registration can also provide a competitive advantage by:
- AEAs identifying opportunities for operational improvements and cost reduction;
Improved audit and surveillance efficiency;
- Reduced number of customer audits required, and a corresponding reduction in needed resources;
- Enhanced supplier performance due to higher quality, waste reduction, and a customer satisfaction focus; and
- Streamlined documentation.
Click here to request a quote on SAI Global's AS9120 certification services